I am a huge fan of young coconuts and someday will live in a place where I can get them straight from the tree. The first time I made this smoothie I became obsessed with it and made it every day for weeks. It is refreshingly hydrating in the summer and a great way to bulk up on your greens. I adapted this recipe from a version of Kris Carr's.
Delicious Green Smoothie
- 1 young coconut (flesh and water)
- 1 avocado
- Handfuls of spinach and/or Romaine lettuce (as much as you can pack into the blender)
- Big handful of sprouts (I like alfalfa)
- 1 cucumber
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Whichever greens you like in addition to these
- Tiny splash of maple syrup to taste if you like a little extra sweet
- Open young coconut and pour the water into a jar. Scrape the flesh out and place in blender. If you have never opened a coconut here are some helpful instructions. You can also find videos if that's your preferred learning method.
- Place avocado, greens, cucumber and sprouts into the blender with the coconut and pour the coconut water in as the liquid to blend your smoothie.
- Blend until everything is smooth and creamy. Add a pinch of cinnamon and a splash of maple if you like and blend some more. Pour into glasses and serve!
Karen Townsend is a massage therapist certified through the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. She is trained in Thai Yoga Massage, Shiatsu and Western therapeutic massage techniques. Click here to learn more about Karen.