Salads are probably one of the easiest ways to check off several vegetable servings in one meal. At a minimum you want to get 7 servings of vegetables daily (1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw = 1 serving). With a salad you can easily squeeze in 3-4 servings!
- 2-3 cups of greens
- 1/2 cup (or more!) of colorful vegetables raw or cooked
- 1/4 cup of fat (nuts, seeds, coconut flakes, avocado, cheese, etc)
- 1/8-1/4 cup of a flavor accent (fruit, fermented food, herbs, citrus zest, etc)
Dr. Barrett's Favorite dressing
- 1 cup oil (olive, walnut or avocado)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 TBS Italian seasonings (basil, thyme and oregano)
- 2 garlic cloves minced/garlic press
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a jar or bowl and mix well. Letting the dressing sit for a few hours will allow more of the flavors to be extracted.
summer salad example
- 3 cups of spinach
- 1/2 cup grilled asparagus
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/8 cup lemon chevre
Tossed with Dr. Barrett's favorite dressing
PRO-TIP SALAD TO GO!
Dr. Sara Jean Barrett is a registered Naturopathic Doctor and co-founder of Wellness Minneapolis. She is also the President of the Minnesota Association of Naturopathic Physicians and a Member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. Click here to learn more about Dr. Barrett.