I discovered this recipe courtesy of Lakewinds Food Co-op. They were sampling this recipe during one of my frequent trips to their store and I fell in love. I am dairy-free and have been missing creamy noodles!
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup mushrooms thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 zucchini, about 1 ½ cups diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lb brown rice noodles (shells work well)
- 3-4 cups butternut squash soup
- In a large sauce pan, sauté the garlic, onion, mushrooms, zucchini and red bell pepper in the olive oil. Cook until tender about 5-7 minutes.
- At the same time cook the noodles until about halfway done.
- Add soup, vinegar, half cooked noodles, salt and pepper to the vegetable mixture and bring to a boil. Stirring until shells are cooked.
Variations: I find that adding a spicy meat such as hot turkey or pork sausage really adds to the meal. I add the meat to the onions and garlic until fully cooked then add the vegetables and continue with the recipe as written.
Dr. Sara Jean Barrett is a registered Naturopathic Doctor and co-founder of Wellness Minneapolis. She is also the President of the Minnesota Association of Naturopathic Physicians and a Member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. Click here to learn more about Dr. Barrett.