In Traditional Chinese dietary therapy, sweet potatoes are sweet and orange, nourish the spleen and stomach organ system, and tonify the kidney system. Sweet potatoes are easily digested, help diarrhea and constipation, and fortify body fluids. Lemon and lime juice are warming and help eliminate phlegm, stop cough and replenish body fluids. Orange juice is more cooling and can benefit the stomach, clear heat and improve appetite, but like the lemon and lime can also ease dry cough. Together these flavors provide a sweet and savory taste experience! Enjoy!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into wedges about 3" long and 1" wide at base
- At least two of the following:
1 lemon, juiced
1-2 clementine (or other) oranges, juiced
1 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Ground black pepper (as much as you want)
- In a large bowl, combine the citrus juices, olive oil, garlic, salt, thyme and black pepper
- Add the sweet potato wedges to the mixture and stir to coat.
- Let the wedges marinate for as long as you can, stirring occasionally. Try for at least 20 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper to protect your pan and speed clean up. Empty the sweet potato mixture (juices included) onto the parchment paper.
- Put the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring the wedges once or twice.
- Take out, let cool and enjoy!