SLOW STITCHING: A PATH TO STILLNESS (VIRTUAL)
The act of sewing is a process of emotional repair. - Louise Bourgeois
No previous sewing or stitching experience is needed to participate.
This is a VIRTUAL offering and will take place over ZOOM. In order to honor a safe space for sharing, these classes will NOT be RECORDED. A follow-up email with class content will be sent after each class if you have to miss.
Can stitching heal your heart?
Can your emotions be transformed through the simple act of sewing?
Are we able to transmute collective grief and trauma by joining together in a circle of creativity?
This class series is created with love from my heart to yours. The focus of these classes is to share and stitch together in community and to guide us gently home to our hearts. The process of slow stitching has brought me to a deeper understanding and awareness of myself and my true heart. Creating handmade textiles has put me in touch with stillness and deep wisdom. I feel inspired to bring this experience alive for others.
The slow stitching movement is a relatively new form of creativity that is steeped in ancient hand stitching traditions. The purpose of slow stitching is to create space to slow down, carve room to take deep breaths, and to come into the enjoyment + present moment of each individual stitch. The hope and intent of this practice is to enjoy stitching one stitch at a time and to let go of outcome and perfectionism along the way.
Wednesdays, March 16th, 23rd and 30th
Please join me in community to stitch your way to more calm and relaxation. During this three-week class series, I will teach the simple art of slow stitching as a practice. This class will be a blend of simple sewing techniques, hands-on practice, inner reflection and conversation with others.
Over three weeks you will create your own mediation book with pages to stitch on. No previous sewing or stitching experience is needed to participate. A safe and nourishing container will be created throughout this series, so please come just as you are with a willingness to live, love and learn together!
I believe stitching transforms our hearts, helps us to release emotions and transmutes collective grief. These are times we can use stitching in community as a nourishing and supportive way to heal our hearts and metabolize our emotions. I have found slow stitching to be magical in bringing mindfulness and awareness alive through its practice.
By the end of this class series, you will have:
- Insights on how to make stitching a mindful meditation and practice.
- Experienced moments of peace and stillness.
- Come together in community to stitch your way to more calm and emotional ease.
- Emailed class content from all three sessions (pdf)
Materials needed for class:
- Scraps of fabric you enjoy with different colors, textures and sizes. Repurposed materials work well for this use. I enjoy fabric with a more open weave like linen. Tightly woven fabric can be frustrating to stitch on. I have found flour sack dishtowels to work wonderfully. T-shirts that feel soft to the touch work beautifully too.
- You will need at least one piece of larger solid fabric 12in x12in or so to use for the body of your book. You may choose to cut it smaller.
- Thread. I use simple embroidery thread. You can use any type you like.
- A needle
- A notebook and pen
My name is Lynn. I am a highly sensitive, intuitive and creative person. As a Reiki Master, I assist others on their own unique path of self-discovery and self-care. I feel called to spread LOVE through classes and private consultations. Please join me so we can to live, love and learn together!