I get it it. Reiki is one those curious mysteries.
Although you may experience healing touch in the form of a hug, a kiss, or hand-holding, there’s an unseen force of energy, and that’s tough wrapping our minds around especially since we’ve been so conditioned to accept only what we see.
Still, nonetheless you’re curious about Reiki and its promise of healing energy. Maybe you’re asking, “what exactly is energy?” Or, “how can I experience energy in a personal yet understandable way?”
After my first experience of receiving Reiki, I became fascinated with energy. I grew up in a setting where energy was not taught. As I grew to an adult and really wanted to know how my power played into my journey, I realized a deep desire to be aware of and to understand how energy was working within me, so I researched and found ways to participate in my own energy experience.
My mind was blown away. I understood that not only was my energy alive, but I came to know how much inner power I had to heal myself and greater even my truth and purpose as my calling to participate in assisting others to accept their own healing power.
Feeling energy as a sensory experience raises your awareness. What I have found is that awareness is the first step to understanding. For example, you may understand love because you have an awareness of what love feels like. You may understand how water is essential to life because you have an awareness of how your body reacts to being hydrated. The same goes for energy.
You can understand energy by simply having an awareness of it.
How about this—what if I invite you to experience energy for yourself? With a few fairly simple techniques, you can gain an understanding of energy by being conscious of how it is constantly interacting within you and how you are constantly attracting energy into your life.
Experience Energy Solo
This technique enables you to feel or sense the field of energy that is inside and surrounding your body.
- Find a quiet, interruption free space to sit down. Begin to breathe in and out slowly relaxing into your seat.
- Gently close your eyes and raise your hands with your palms facing each other. You’ll want to begin with them spaced apart, approximately a shoulder width.
- Focus your thoughts on feeling the energy between your hands, then slowly bring them closer together until you begin to feel the energy between them. You may feel sensations of warmth, tingling, resistance, a thickness, or magnetism.
- When you feel something, keep your hands where they are and slowly pull them apart until you feel the edge of energetic power. There’s no magic rule for how close or far apart your palms have to be. The more you practice this technique, the easier it will be to detect your energy.
Experience the Energy of Attraction
This technique is special because you will be able to receive immediate results in your quest to understand the ways that you attract and manifest energy. This technique is actually a really fun game and I encourage you to share it with others as you see the way that it works.
When you wake up fully in the morning, try this:
- Make a mental list or write down no more than three concrete objects. For example: red shoes, turtles, and good news. My absolute favorite and most easiest object to attract is good news!
- Next, spend no more than 10 to 15 seconds thinking and creating a light and playful vision of each object.
- Go about the rest of your day. Each time any of these items comes into your awareness, say out loud, “That’s my energy.”
- Play this game everyday and as you realize you’re becoming better at being aware of how your energy is attracting what you think about, move on to objects that have greater meaning to you.
- As you discover how fun it is to attract light, playful objects, think also about something you may have been attracting that you don’t necessarily want.
Of course, you are not limited to these three techniques to raise your awareness of energy. I believe the key to understanding energy is being aware that the smallest form of energy is the atom, and the entire universe is abundantly full of atoms. Take a look around you. Your phone, your computer, your desk, your couch, your body, is composed of billions and billions of atoms. Within each atom is the consciousness of energy. You have the power to increase the light within yourself by first being aware of the abundant opportunities to attract what you desire deep within you.
Maybe you’ve discovered that energy is working in your life, and working in a way that you have more questions, and working in a way that you desire to release some negative energy in order to create space to attract positive energy.
I would love to work with you to uncover ways to release some of that energy so that you are able to walk forward through life attracting the truth and purpose that is meant for you.