What's cuter than kids in costumes? Quite possibly nothing. What's not so cute about Halloween is the sugar highs...and lows. If you're feeling ready to shed the sugar blues, try this super simple sugar detox for a few days. You'll feel refreshed and ready to get back on track towards your health goals:
- First step: put down the candy! It may go without saying, but a sugar detox means 'stop eating the sugar!'
- Load up on leafy greens and other colorful vegetables. Aim for at least 7 servings a day. Success tip: Incorporate veggies into your breakfast and plan a green salad for lunch or dinner.
- Drink half your weight in water. That's right: half your weight. Success tip: Drink 8oz of water before breakfast. This will trigger your thirst mechanism so you actually want to drink more water. You can also squeeze some fresh lemon juice into your glass to both make it more delicious and amp the detoxifying benefit.
- Add in a few extras to support the detoxification process: high fiber flax or chia seeds, antioxidant-rich green tea (several cups a day), and anti-inflammatory spices like ginger, garlic and turmeric. Success tip: Try this recipe for golden milk for a drinkable way to enjoy turmeric.
- Avoiding caffeine, alcohol and refined carbs like bread, pasta and baked goods will also help you be successful in quitting the sugar. These foods and drinks actually make us crave sweets more...no need to fight with yourself!
Jesse Haas, CNS, LN is a licensed functional nutritionist and certified health coach. She was a founding partner of Wellness Minneapolis and was an active practitioner with the clinic from 2014-2022. To connect with her regarding functional nutrition and health coaching services, please follow this link.