A: I'm currently completing my master's in holistic health studies from St. Catherine University (Graduating December 2021). My focus throughout the program was on mindfulness and nature, and in May 2021 my research team and I published our 200-page thesis on how people have used time in nature to heal their grief caused by COVID. We collected hundreds of photos and amazing stories about the healing power of nature from people all over the world.
I came to be interested in holistic health after discovering how important a regular meditation practice is for every aspect of my wellbeing - when I have a consistent mindfulness practice I feel better in my body, my inner dialog is more meaningful, and my relationships are healthier. A curiosity for other ways to holistically heal brought me to my graduate program, and to Wellness Minneapolis.
Q: What gets you out of bed in the morning?
A: Coffee, my animals (one dog and two cats), hugs, and my morning reading ritual.
Q: What are you currently working on in your life?
A: It took many years to realize that I will never be able to do just one thing. I live for hobbies, side hustles, part-time jobs, volunteering, random projects - anything to feed my constant curiosity. Currently:
- I have a mindfulness and sidewalk chalk project called CeMental Break (@cementalbreak)
- I teach group exercise classes at the YMCA and JCC (Zumba and water exercise are my favorites)
- I do triathlons with my husband, Peter.
- I work with entrepreneurs and small organizations on their logos, branding, and illustrations, and create fun illustrations for myself too (www.taylortinkham.com)
- I volunteer at People & Pets Together - a local pet food shelf with the mission of keeping animals and their humans together - because pets are family!
- I'm a Tree Care Advisor through University of Minnesota Extension.
- I garden, preserve and can food for winter, cook a lot, and I'm baking my way through the Dessert Person cookbook by Claire Saffitz.
Q: What is your favorite breakfast item/food/beverage/dish etc?
A: I love fried rice for breakfast - leftover rice, whatever fresh veggies I have around, an egg, and some hot sauce!