Hummus is a great way to eat more fiber, beans and vegetables alike. It can also be an amazing way to incorporate creativity into your cooking.
Regular hummus is delicious but adding in beets creates a beautiful color, adds nutrients, and is a delicious new flavor to try. Beets are known to be supportive to liver health and detoxification, high in antioxidants, and have benefits to cardiovascular health.
Download the recipe here in a printable pdf.
- 1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas*
- 4 tbsp lemon + lemon zest (optional)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt + pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp filtered water
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup roasted beets (about 1 medium beet)**
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- In your blender or food processor, add lemon, tahini, garlic cloves, salt, olive oil, filtered water, roasted beets, and chickpeas. Blend on high for a few minutes. You can add more water and/or olive oil to achieve desired consistency.
- Top with lemon zest and serve with veggies of your choice: cucumbers, radishes, carrots, tomatoes...whatever your veggie-loving heart desires. And enjoy!
*TO COOK CHICKPEAS: Soaking and/or pressure cooking beans helps reduce phytates (phytic acid). Phytates are anti-nutrients that can inhibit absorption of nutrients such as iron. Also, by buying chickpeas in bulk we reduce plastic waste and reduce exposure to BPA (bisphenol-A) that is in the lining of canned foods. Even BPA-free cans can have BPA substitutes in the lining such as BPS and BPF. BPA, BPS, and BPF are xenoestrogens, meaning they are estrogen mimickers in our body, which can create hormonal imbalance and lead to a variety of health issues.
- Measure out 3/4 cup dry chickpeas into a large bowl. Cover with water and soak on your countertop overnight (8-12 hours).
- Strain and rinse beans. Place in a large saucepan and add 1 1/2 cup fresh water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked. Older beans will take longer. Store in the refrigerator until ready to prepare hummus.
**TO ROAST BEETS:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop 1 medium beet into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place on sheet pan with 1 tbsp avocado oil and salt and roast for 30 minutes. You can make these beets several days before making hummus.