I am a huge fan of young coconuts and someday will live in a place where I can get them straight from the tree. The first time I made this smoothie I became obsessed with it and made it every day for weeks. It is refreshingly hydrating in the summer and a great way to bulk up on your greens. I adapted this recipe from a version of Kris Carr's.
Delicious Green Smoothie
- 1 young coconut (flesh and water)
- 1 avocado
- Handfuls of spinach and/or Romaine lettuce (as much as you can pack into the blender)
- Big handful of sprouts (I like alfalfa)
- 1 cucumber
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Whichever greens you like in addition to these
- Tiny splash of maple syrup to taste if you like a little extra sweet
- Open young coconut and pour the water into a jar. Scrape the flesh out and place in blender. If you have never opened a coconut here are some helpful instructions. You can also find videos if that's your preferred learning method.
- Place avocado, greens, cucumber and sprouts into the blender with the coconut and pour the coconut water in as the liquid to blend your smoothie.
- Blend until everything is smooth and creamy. Add a pinch of cinnamon and a splash of maple if you like and blend some more. Pour into glasses and serve!