Here is a healthy Thanksgiving recipe that will help you get your veggies in this holiday. This salad tastes best when prepped ahead and allowed to marinade for at least 30 minutes before serving. May be served warm, room temp or cold.
Click here for a printable PDF
- 1 bunch curly kale; thick center ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts; trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple; julienned (matchstick size)
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts (toasted with skins removed - directions below)
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano Sheep cheese
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dash of honey to desired sweetness
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and honey (if using). Set aside
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place hazelnuts on baking pan in single layer and toast in oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly colored and skins are blistered.
- Wrap nuts in a kitchen towel and let steam for 1 minute. Rub the nuts in the towel to remove loose skins (don't worry about any skins that don't come off). Then, coarsely chop them.
- In large bowl mix together the thinly sliced curly kale, Brussels sprouts, and green apple.
- Stir in dressing to lightly coat the mixture.
- Gently stir in cheese and the most of the chopped hazelnuts
- Place in serving dish and sprinkle remaining hazelnuts on top for a beautiful presentation.
- Drizzle any additional dressing if the salad looks dry.