- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 (15oz) cans of black beans, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cups chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and cut into 1/2 slices
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until simmering. Cook onion, bell pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and chipotle and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, puree half of beans and 1 cup of broth in blender until smooth. stir pureed beans, remaining whole beans and remaining broth into pot and bring to simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with cilantro and avocado.
*Simple side options: White rice, tortilla chips and corn bread.
For printable PDF, click here