Adapted from Deborah Madison’s recipe in ‘Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone’
Click here for a printable version of this recipe.
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 medium red cabbage, about 2 pounds, quartered, cored, and finely sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples quartered, cored, and diced or shredded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Apple cider vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and caraway, give them a stir, then cook for a few minutes over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cabbage and apples and season with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover tightly and cook very slowly until the cabbage is meltingly tender, up to an hour.
- Taste for salt, season with pepper, and toss with vinegar, to taste.