Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika for mild flavor or ground chipotle for spicy
- Heat and stir the nuts and oil on medium until they start to sizzle.
- Turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle nuts with sugar and stir to toss and coat.
- Sprinkle nuts with salt, paprika or ground chipotle and stir to coat.
- Spread nuts on a plate or cookie sheet and allow to cool thoroughly.
- When cool, place nuts in an airtight container and store at room temperature.