- 1 medium pumpkin, roasted
- 3 dried ancho chilies
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 onion
- vegetable stock or water
- 2-3 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds.
- Lightly oil pumpkin halves and place on a baking sheet, cut side down.
- Roast pumpkin for 30 minutes then flip and continue roasting until soft and caramelized, let cool.
- Start a small saucepan of water to boil.
- Cut ancho chilies and remove seeds.
- Toast Chiles. Start by preheating a dry skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. Add dry chilies and press with spatula until toasted, roughly 15-25 seconds for each side.
- Add toasted chilies to boiling water and turn off heat. Let sit for 5-7 minutes in water, then drain. Discard water.
- Rough chop onions, carrots and celery and saute in stock pot at medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Scoop pumpkin from shell and reserve.
- When vegetables are slightly caramelized, add in chilies, pumpkin and vegetable stock or water to cover. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In small batches, transfer to food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Season with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
Click here for a printable PDF